6.8.10

More on Kunstkammer/Wunderkammer






















As I previously mentioned, the opening of Kunstkammer/Wunderkammer on Friday, July 23rd went very well. I met some great people and made some connections. Here is the original Akimbo exhibition posting:


















Since then, hundreds have been through the space and I've read some positive reviews. NOW Toronto listed it as a "must-see" show. R.M. Vaughan of the Globe & Mail gave it a good review also, which you can find on the website or in this Saturday's paper. Eye Weekly gave a mixed but overall pretty decent review as well, so here's my section:

"... Laura Payne’s intriguing study of James Earl Jones, Can You Tell Me? Indeed, Payne’s work, with its intention to reveal, might be closest to Spooner’s idea of a Wunderkammer object. A hypnotic loop of Jones’ audition for Sesame Street, in which he seems overly, awkwardly methodical, it is both familiar and startling. Jones could be a politician, an inmate, a terrorist, a news anchor. More than Blanchard, even, Payne makes something old and borrowed seem new again."

I must express my gratitude to the brilliant Rosemary Spooner who curated the entire show, and also I should say that it has been humbling to show my work among such talented and visionary artists as those in the show. It has been an enormous privilege.









Finally, I think my favorite moment today was discovering that not only has the Eye Weekly review been linked from the USA Today website, as they archive many publications, but that the article has been filed under "James Earl Jones". Yes!

1 comment:

  1. i love how much attention the show has been getting. that's such a good sign.

    ReplyDelete